Monday, June 17, 2019

A Special Fire - Just for me!


As a child growing up in a dilapidated motel owned by my parents, we lived with my Crazy Granny, who was senile more or less from the time I was born. My memories are of her sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, literally waiting for Gabriel's horn. While waiting, she sang old hymns (mainly Amazing Grace), and talked in that 3-minute loop common to the demented and the elderly, wherein her entire existence could be summed up in these experiences that were all that seemed to remain of her memory. She spoke of Gert and Winnie, neither of whom I ever met, and who may have been nothing more than her invisible friends. And she spoke a lot to God and Jesus, asking them to take her home even though she would also proclaim in the same breath that she didn't want to die. Maybe she was hoping to be beamed up while still in her human garb, rather like Ezekiel and his fiery chariot. Who's to say?
Whenever I came home from school, I would ask how she was doing, and listen to the loop, which always concluded with, "And now I'm a-sittin' here, a-waitin' for Gabriel's horn."
Being a somewhat devious child, I had an instinct that she wasn't as daffy as she was trying to get everyone to believe, so one afternoon I crawled underneath the porch with one of those plastic recorders from 3rd grade music class, and just as she was praying for Gabriel to sound his horn... I let 'er rip!
Toot-toot-ta-toot-atoot!
Next thing I know, I hear a clatter and a howl as Crazy Granny topples over backward in her rocking chair, feet up in the air like some deranged cartoon character, and all the while praying at the top of her lungs, "Jesus is coming! Jesus is coming!" as she tried to scramble up and right herself lest Jesus catch a glimpse of her size 10 bloomers which had been revealed when her faded cotton dress flew up over her head.
Needless to say, when I crawled out from under the porch, I wasn't the most popular kid on the block with my mother, but when I locked eyes with Granny and she realized that Gabriel was none other than her toe-headed granddaughter, there was a new understanding between us.
From that day forward, she had more lucidity when talking with me privately - in other words, she really could carry on a conversation beyond that 3-minute loop, though she would fall right back into it whenever anyone else entered the room. My guess was that she was bored with life and with the lives of those around her, and so she was recreating the reality that had been far more real to her - those 3-minutes of memories when she was really Awake, Aware and Alive (the 3 "A's). It's been suggested that perhaps Gabriel's recorder shifted her assemblage point, but I would not want to take credit for the workings of an archangel.
Once, a few years before she died, I asked her what she really thought when she heard that horn sound. She just smiled. "There's a special fire just for you," she said, shaking her bony finger. "The devil has a special fire, just for you."

_____

Excerpted from "Into the Infinite"
All rights reserved

Join our discussions on Facebook

You can also buy my books
on Amazon or QuantumShaman.com
                              
             

                       


          

No comments: